Friday, January 30, 2009

Our First Ice Storm

OK, so this post is mostly just for Becca because before we moved we were talking about ice storms and Becca didn't know what they were exactly, so I took the best pictures I could, but it was 19 degrees outside when I did and I was cold and the wind was blowing so I didn't take to many.

This first picture is from our balcony, and it's all the ice on the ground. I know it looks like snow, but it's not and it's super slippery.


These are the bottom steps of the stairs up to our apartment. They got iced over and Brooke had to hold my hand when she went down stairs or she would slip and fall. The rails were covered in ice too!


See the icicles hanging off the bush? That's how it was on all the trees and street signs. It's really pretty in the trees when the sun shines on it.


Just more ice. It was all over the sidewalk and street. It only melted after it warmed up and the sun was shining on it. If it was in the shade, it stayed there all day. And at night everything refroze if there was still water on it.


The car covered in ice.



Do you like the icicles hanging from our car? It's sort of weird to see.


And this is from my bedroom window. The rain froze to the screen like that. Funny, huh?

Anyway, for the most part that's what it was. Ice just blankets everything. And we stay inside. It depended on which school you went to, but some were closed for two days and some only for one. And the day after the ice storm there was so much fog that I couldn't see the water tower that's right next to our apartments. Luckily no one lost their power. Sometimes the ice gets so thick and heavy on the power lines that it knocks peoples power out, and then it gets really cold inside too. Anyway, so now you know what an ice storm is Becca.
We love and miss you guys, and the warmth. So enjoy the nicer weather for me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to give it to you for being such a good sport about it. I don't know that I could survive weather below 60 degrees. Although sometime around June I know I will be jealous of all the green around you. Love you guys, and stay warm. Oh, and GO CARDINALS!
This is Candice not Bree :))

Jessica said...

I guess you know you're from AZ when you devote an entire post to cold things! You guys are certainly missed. We're glad to have you for a short time. Brandon has loved playing with Brooke and even said he had to wait his turn to play with her. He misses her and apparently so does everyone else!

Melissa B said...

ok girl I need an update! I'm missing the weekly updates! =) Hope everything is going well there. I'm glad you like it so far. That makes it easier to be away from the fam i'm sure!